Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Wood Floor Installation

In ,
belched:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:15:16 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"chaniarts" wrote in message

On 7/25/2013 9:33 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

I'm the OP.
Most of the replies confirm my opinion that the
installers didn't do good work. And you've correctly
surmised that the boards were glued down.

Under the circumstances, I think saying they did not do
good work is way harsh. The fact is, not all the
boards are going to be arrow straight; some of them are
going to have crook. In order to get mating edges,
crooked boards need to be bent and afixed in that
position. I've never glued a floor but I can't see how
doing so could keep a board bent to straight from
returning to its former crook.

i've had a glued on concrete hardwood floor. it came out
without any cracks and didn't need filling anywhere. i
would say that now-a-days, most all machine made hardwood
floor planks are arrow straight. an installer should know
enough to work around them, on the rare board that wasn't.

I have no doubt that they start out straight but that doesn't mean
they will stay that way in the time from mill to laying.

Engineered hardwood generally will - and I would not use anything
BUT engineered hardwood on a concrete slab. Using solisd hardwood on
a concrete slab, glued down, is just asking for more trouble than it's
worth.

Just my opinion.

That is also the opinion of anyone that knows anything about flooring.
You CANNOT put solid wood on a slab without a plywood subfloor, period