Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Wood Floor Installation

wrote in message

I'm the OP.
Most of the replies confirm my opinion that the
installers didn't do good work. And you've correctly
surmised that the boards were glued down.

Under the circumstances, I think saying they did not do good work is way
harsh. The fact is, not all the boards are going to be arrow straight; some
of them are going to have crook. In order to get mating edges, crooked
boards need to be bent and afixed in that position. I've never glued a
floor but I can't see how doing so could keep a board bent to straight from
returning to its former crook.
____________________

Other than a
discount, I don't think there is anything to be done at
this point but live with it.

If they did nothing wrong, you are not entitled to a discount.
_____________________

This little project has taught me that if I want the job
done right, I need to learn about these details in
advance and closely supervise the installers.

*THAT* I agree with Not so sure about the supervising though...ask
questions/express concerns, yes; nit pick/look over their shoulders,
no...you want them to like you, not consider you a PITA.
_______________________

This isn't what I had in mind when I pay someone who is supposed to
be an expert to do work for me.

I agree with that too. I would expect them to advise me of any potential
problems. In this case, asking, "Will there be any gaps between the
boards?" would have been a good question to ask before commiting to the
work. Depending on the answer, then you might be entitled to a new floor;
especially if the answer had been written into the contract.

Your problems reinforce my belief that the only wood floor I would ever want
is 3/4 solid wood, sanded and finished on site.

--

dadiOH