charlie b

Default Father Son Project (and hidden "Locks")

Richard Cline wrote:

In article , wrote:

I hope that your rules are not totally hard.

So you want two units, each 2' wide. I suspect you would benefit from
some partitions within each unit to distribute the leaning load. A
width of around 8" between partitions would be reasonable.

The shelf and the bottom will be stopped sliding dovetails and made
of
3/4" honey or black locust. This stuff is incredibley stiff, though
quarterinch center partition might be a good idea.

The records are just short of 12" diameter. This means that you have
comfortable room for two shelves.

Actually, an LP in it's sleeve is about 12 1/4" tall and a smidge
deeper. Need at least 3/4" above the album sleeve so that's 13"
per level or 26 for the two levels. Add a 3/4" bottom. a 3/4"
shelf and a 3/4" top and you're at 28 1/4". 1 3/4" for the
toe kick and you're at 30".

The depth will need to be around 14" to allow for the record as well as
front and back.

Will go 15" so so the first level can stick foreward of the over-
hanging second level of albums. Will make getting albums out
of the bottom row easier.

5. Due to space constraints, there can't be a door
on the front

A door can be pretty small. Each unit can have a pair of bifold doors
so the maximum extension into your walking space will be around 6". A
tilt out panel will take more space than that.

Bifolds are not easy to lock, especially with a hidden lock.
The tilt out panel only needs to tilt out about an inch to
lift out and put on top of the cabinets or slip along side.

Assuming that you have a base assembly with kick panel you could hide
the lock underneath the door. I suspect that you are in love with
magnets by this time.

Hey for magicians it's all done with mirrors. With me
it's all done with magnets.

I grew up with a chinese blanket chest on top, drawers below
unit that had two hidden drawers in the bottom amongst
a carved patterns band near the bottom. If you pressed on
the center of the correct flower in the pattern a hidden
drawer would pop out. Magnets are a lot easier...

Thanks for the suggestions. The more eyes on a problem
the more apt a hole in a solution is found.

charlie b