Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Pressure regulator for water to refrigerator

On 7/24/2013 3:07 PM, pilgrim wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 01:39:04 -0400, micky wrote:

I have a problem with my refrigerator. I have extremely high
water pressure and the filter in the refrigerator keeps popping.
Then I have water dripping all over the place. So I just got
a pressure regulator and put it in the line to the refrigerator.
And I have what I should have expected. Nice low pressure when
the water is running, but full line pressure when it is not
running.

Is the water filter in the fridge still "popping"?

How many "things" (refrigerators, washing machines, dish washers, faucets,
etc., etc.) draw their water supply through your new pressure regulator?

What is the regulator's output pressure? A screw-on pressure gauge should
cost around $12 to $15 at Home Depot.

What makes it a pressure regulator if it doesn't regulate the
pressure?

The regulator may actually be regulating. If it is regulating the water
pressure for the entire house it may be designed to have an output pressure
as high as 80 psi or maybe even higher. (Street pressure may be over 150
psi.) The "nice low pressure when the water is running" may be caused by
under-sized pipes, partially clogged pipes, or whatever.

Again, is the water filter in the fridge still "popping"? Please post back
if it is.

It hasn't popped yet. It usually lasts about 6 months, so it hasn't had
time yet. And as far as what runs off of it, I clearly said that the
regulator was on the line to the refrigerator.

Bill