Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Wood Floor Installation

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:30:07 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:35:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I had 3/8" thick Bellawood installed today over concrete slab (with
a skim coat of a prep material). There are many small gaps between
boards side-by-side, plus a few length-wise. Is this simply poor
workmanship or is the installer correct when he says that these gaps
are needed for future expansion?

I am a bit dubious of his claim because we are in the middle of a
hot and humid summer in the Gulf South. It seems to me that the
boards should be as expanded as they'll ever get right now. (Unless
the levies are breached and New Orleans floods again.)

Expansion and contraction will happen on the border edges of the
flooring material (1/4 - 3/8" space is allowed on the outside edges).
This helps to prevent the flooring from buckling up. There should be
no gaps where the material mates next to the other piece.

Was this flooring acclimated to the house before it was installed?
Usually boxes are opened and allowed to sit for X number of days.

I agree with your skepticism.

I agree with the above.

Hopefully, the OP has not paid the contractor yet. He could also call the
manufacturer and ask the same question to get their confirmation which could
be used in dealing with the contractor.

Some times on tongue and groove, the groove can have a sliver left in
it, making it difficult to install (came from the factory - not a
clean groove cut). Toss that piece and then use it for short cuts.
Same with snap lock types.

Always inspect each piece; particularly, if you glue the flooring to
the slab.

OP, can you post a photo on a free image hosting sight with a URL link
back here?