Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well Storage Tank Set-up and Installation

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:29:07 AM UTC-4, bud-- wrote:
On 7/21/2013 10:14 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:44:01 PM UTC-7, Coccopine wrote:

I purchased a home a couple years ago that was a foreclosure home. It is

way out in the country and runs on a well system. The well is about 365 ft

deep and has a 3HP 230V 60hz submersible pump set at about 350 ft down the

well. Up a hill about 300 ft from the well head is a concrete and gravel

pad where a water storage tank used to sit. I am told that the previous

owners removed the storage tank and booster pump system when they left the

home during the foreclosure process. The first year I was in the home I

was too busy moving in etc to worry much about the outside landscaping

needs. This year I repaired all the landscaping water lines etc and

started to water everything the way it should have been and discovered an

issue. The well pump is capable of pumping about 20 gallons a minute from

the well but the well appears to only be capable of supplying about 7 to 8

gallons per minute. Therefore it pumps like crazy for about 15 minutes and

then begins to starve.

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

The big cost will be the tank but you may be able to find a used one somewhere.

Can't help much as haven't worked them but below is one way to do it, may not

be the professional way though.

Basic set up is to run your well pump on a timer to limit how long it can run

without running out of water feeding the tank. A float switch in the tank to

tell the pump when the tank is full.

Another way to stop the pump when the well water level is drawn down to

where the pump is is a "pump saver"

http://www.symcom.com/documentation/...df/SS_233P.pdf

this is one version, the company makes others. And other companies may

make them.

The "pump saver" looks at the pump current (or might look at the actual

power). When the water level drops to the pump, water is no longer being

pumped and the current goes down (power goes down much more). The

"saver" senses the current drop and turns the pump off for a set period,

allowing the well to 'recharge'.

You need some way to prevent the pump from running when the well level

drops to the pump.

Sounds like there was a storage tank. Then a booster pump would pump

that water into a relatively small pressurized tank for the house. The

booster pump is controlled by a pressure switch on the pressure tank.

The pressurized tank is likely there, and the well pump now feeds it.

Depending on the layout, you may be able to gravity feed to the

landscape out of the storage tank.

If I were doing the setup, I would consider having a typical 100 gal
tank for the domestic water usage and having the big storage tank
serve the landscape, fire prevention needs. That way you don't have
say 3000 gal of water sitting around for bacteria etc to grow in that
then feeds the house itself.