Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Filling in scratches after stain and lacquer

djc1287 wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback!
It is great to have so many knowledgeable people share their thoughts
and experience. When I used the 40 grit, I was using a belt sander
and then switched to an orbital. My main issue was that I switched
straight from 40 to 120 grit. I should've added at least one other
grit in between. Now I know!

Yeah - that's a bit of a jump. But - you're not the first person to make
that kind of leap. Now, you're in good company.

Would anyone recommend adding a filler on top of the PU to fill in
the scratches, or is resanding really the only way? Also, what are
the consequences of sanding on wood that already has a couple coats
of PU?

Nope. Do it the right way and sand it out. It has been recommended to find
a place local to you that will run it through a sander for you - that's
probably your best bet.

--

-Mike-