Richard Cline

Default Father Son Project (and hidden "Locks")

In article , wrote:

I hope that your rules are not totally hard.

Have been "commissioned" (read 'Dad, I've got a project "we"
can work on.") to build two record (yes, those round vinyl
things with the grooves in them) cabinets. The design
constraints a
1. two cabinets because they'll be easier to move
than one foot long cabinet
2. can't be wider than the width of his bed (48")
beause they'll reside at the foot of the bed a la
a blanket chest.

So you want two units, each 2' wide. I suspect you would benefit from
some partitions within each unit to distribute the leaning load. A
width of around 8" between partitions would be reasonable.
3 . can't be tallel than 30"

The records are just short of 12" diameter. This means that you have
comfortable room for two shelves.
4. depth is to be kept to a minimum since there's
a bench directly opposite with dual turn tables,
mixer etc.

The depth will need to be around 14" to allow for the record as well as
front and back.
5. Due to space constraints, there can't be a door
on the front

A door can be pretty small. Each unit can have a pair of bifold doors
so the maximum extension into your walking space will be around 6". A
tilt out panel will take more space than that.

Assuming that you have a base assembly with kick panel you could hide
the lock underneath the door. I suspect that you are in love with
magnets by this time.

Dick