Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Filling in scratches after stain and lacquer

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:56:48 -0700 (PDT), djc1287
wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback!
It is great to have so many knowledgeable people share their thoughts and experience. When I used the 40 grit, I was using a belt sander and then switched to an orbital. My main issue was that I switched straight from 40 to 120 grit. I should've added at least one other grit in between. Now I know!

Would anyone recommend adding a filler on top of the PU to fill in the scratches, or is resanding really the only way? Also, what are the consequences of sanding on wood that already has a couple coats of PU?

Thanks again!

My Dad used to harp at me if I was going to do something, I might as well do it
right. If the table is going to be out where people will see it, and you want
to proudly tell them you built it, then I think you need to resand it.

Chalk this up to a learning experience, and stop in here to read the messages
three or four times a week. This is a great place to ask for advice BEFORE ****
happens.

If you live anywhere near Houston, come over to the house and we'll try out the
wide sander or a couple of hand planes on your top. Somebody else suggested
getting it sanded at a cabinet shop for little money. A good deal if you value
your time at more than $5 per hour.

Good luck with your project, and post pictures on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Post as regular jpg file, no Yenc. Many
regulars here don't have software to decode Yenc.

Regards,
Roy