Posted to rec.woodworking
djc1287 djc1287 is offline

Default Filling in scratches after stain and lacquer

Thank you all for the feedback!
It is great to have so many knowledgeable people share their thoughts and experience. When I used the 40 grit, I was using a belt sander and then switched to an orbital. My main issue was that I switched straight from 40 to 120 grit. I should've added at least one other grit in between. Now I know!

Would anyone recommend adding a filler on top of the PU to fill in the scratches, or is resanding really the only way? Also, what are the consequences of sanding on wood that already has a couple coats of PU?

Thanks again!