Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Snake kitchen sink too often

On Monday, July 22, 2013 4:04:40 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:21:30 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

How much did that one plumbing visit cost you?

$50.00.

Holy cow! Out here, *nothing* is even close to $50.

Actually, I've *never* called one, but, I can't believe

it wouldn't be a few hundred just to get them to show up

at the door.

At $50, that's practically free, so, I'd call the plumber

every time something went wrong - if those prices are

the norm.

(Where the heck do you live that a service

is *that* cheap? Just their SS taxes and expenses are far

far far far greater than $50 per hour where I live).

EDIT: Googling, I find plumbers are $75 to $150 per hour,

and, I'd be surprised if I could get one that cheap:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7124117AABbNLj

Maybe it's because he's the owner and does ONLY snaking drains? This is his 2nd visit, same price. Note that I checked out "roto-rooter"-type companies on-line and they ran about the same for (I assume) simple snaking. I preferred this single-owner guy who, I think, had better skills.

I'm surprised that you're surprised at the price. because this is an affluent small city where everything costs more.

On the high side -- I think? - it cost me $645 for a licensed plumber to remove and replace an ancient cast iron pipe that was stopping up the bathroom sink. Involved going into the crawl space under the house. You don't want to know what the corpse looked like ...ewwww.

%645 seems like a LOT of money to me! But what were my choices? This plumber was recommended by a friend,. Earlier he had charged only $59.50 to fix a leak under kitchen sink (involved removing ANOTHER ancient cast-iron pipe!).

HB