J T

Default Father Son Project (and hidden "Locks")

Sat, Jun 19, 2004, 10:58am (EDT-3) (charlie=A0b)
says:
snip fun stuff this woodworking

Now I'm gonna spoil some of your fun. Hehehehe

snip 7. The Kicker - they have to be lockable - but they =A0 =A0 can't
have visble locks. snip

OK, that's what really caught my interest.

Decided on a tilt out front panel.

I'm a bit confused on that one, seems like that wouldn't work.
"5. Due to space constraints, there can't be a door =A0 =A0 on the
front"
So, why not a lift up top?

After playing with ideas for hidden latches it hit me. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 MAGNETS!

OK, I looked at the picture, would seem to be workable.

I'm guessing he has a kid(s). Which is why a lock in the first
place. I'm not clear on the no visible lock tho; after all, it's a
chest, has to be some way in it. Partial solution would be have it
hinge from the front, rather than the back (top that is). I'm thinking
a few problems. If the "peg", or whatever you call it has the magnet on
it, it'll probably pop out the first time a kid runs a steel toy car
over the chest. If you use a magnet to pull out a steel pin, you run
the risk of losing the magnet. Plus, the first time a kid sees it
opened, betcha he/she'll figure out how it was done.

I would think a possible solution would be a tiny hole, so you
insert a stiff wire in, and release a catch from the inside. If you
lost the wire, make it so coat hnger wire would work. Again, don't let
a kid see you doing this. There's something along those lines, that
might work, posted on one of the R/C links. Used to have it saved, but
believe I dumped it. I'll post it, if I still have it.

Another possible solution, a catch at the back, at the bottom of
the chest, again with front hingeed top.

Deadbold inside, held in place with a powerful spring, and only
able to open with a powerful electro-magnet, to pull the bolt back.
Wouldn't matter if you couldn't open it during a power failure, because
you wouldn't have any power to play the records anyway. That's if you
only have something nonessential, like records, in it. Very bad idea if
you needed to get inside during a blackout.

My personal thoughts would be a small, inconspicuous panel, hald in
position with a rare earth magnet or two, that would take quite a bit of
effort to open, so kids aren't apt to run across it by accident. Then,
inside, something like a window latch. No problems about opening if the
power goes, the latch would keep the door, or top, from ratteling. If
it was apt to be lifted by the lip on the top, and the top opens, I'd
probably opt for two window latches, and a sturdy hinge. If it's gonna
be moved often, I'd think about wheels.

JOAT
Use your brain - it's the small things that count.
- Bazooka Joe