Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] solesorry@gmail.com is offline

Default Refrigerator Door Won't Close Properly

On Friday, July 19, 2013 12:53:03 PM UTC-7, Robert Green wrote:
I've got a problem with my GE model GTH18EBTZRWW refrigerator compartment

door.

It won't close completely unless I lift up the door handle. The door's

slightly off and the new, hi-efficiency models fit very snugly between door

and frame. I only discovered this after a futile 20 minutes unloading

everything I thought could be blocking the door. Never occurred to me that

the door itself was blocking the door. Oddly enough, it seems to be

encountering the obstacle more towards the top than the bottom. I marked

around the door frame with a red wax pencil to see if I could detect any

contact points but nothing's showing.

I see what look like hinge adjustment screws, but they're not anything I am

used to and really don't look sturdy enough to support such a large door.

Although I have as many wrenches, probably, as a NASCAR mech does (crow's

foot, open-ended, deep socket, shallow socket, crescent and more) not one

will fit in the space around the refrigerator door hinge. It looks to take

some sort of bent-end wrench to allow tightening and loosening without

hitting the door.

I thought I'd ask here before I went Googling in case there's a trick to it

that someone else has discovered before. Also, what the heck is hitting?

Why does it seem to be at the top when a sagging door usually binds at the

bottom?

Any help, as always, will be appreciated. Amateur comedians will be

appropriately heckled. (-:

Manual seems to be he

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...r-Parts-manual

although current download is taking forever.

--

Bobby G.

Check out http://atbayappliance.com/news-and-tips/ for tips and news on appliance repair from a reliable company in California.