Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default treating ploywood just in case

leza wang wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:36:48 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:
Hi

I had fake brick (faux brick) for the front of the house. They put
the fake brick on the plywood without mesh or anything!! just the
fake brick and cements. We removed all the bricks, now it is only
plywood and it is an old one and few places are rotten (back) (I
will post pictures). I am going to put a wood panel (from home depot
called Smart panel. it is wood siding basically).

My question, should i treat the plywood with something to make it
better or fix any damage etc before I put the wood panels? I am not
going to put any isolation because the siding of the house which
were done the same way, i do not think they use isolation. But my
concern now, do I need to treat the plywood with a certain material.

Thanks a lot

this is the picture of the front now

http://tinypic.com/r/znnaqe/5

From the photo, it doesn't look too bad. Where are the parts that are
water-damaged? Are they right under the window sill, or maybe someplace
else?

If the damage is under the window sill, it could be the window that is
leaking and allowing water to get in. If it is up high near the roof line,
maybe it is due to water getting in from a roof leak.

It looks like the siding that you are going to put up is called SmartSide:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SmartSide...7874/100055901 .

It says that it is some type of "composite" material, but I don't know what
that means exactly.

My hunch is that using something like Tyvek underneath as a vapor barrier as
others suggested may be the best idea instead of any type of paint etc.

product