Posted to alt.home.repair
Hot-Text[_4_] Hot-Text[_4_] is offline

Default kitchen floor damaged by chairs with wheels.

"ChairMan" wrote in message
Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 23:57:21 -0400, micky
wrote:
My kitchen is 12' x 12 (if one goes to the wall everywhere despite
appliances and cabinets) ' and it came with a floor made of sheet
vinyl, No seams. The floor looked great when it was 10 or 15 years
old, until I bought two kitchen chairs with casters on them.
The wheels were like a rolling pin, rolling out a pie crust, with the
vinyl pushed ahead of the wheel and after 6 or 9 months the top layer
of the vinyl, where all the decoration is, was falling off.

Probably the wheels are too small, or the vinyl was cheaply made.
If I wanted wheeled chairs on vinyl floor, here's what I'd do.
Take your pick.
1. Use chair mats that are made for rolling chairs.
These could be made of a hard material, or tight weave carpeting.
2. Use chair casters appropriate for the flooring.
http://www.castercity.com/casters-fu...loor-chart.htm
You probably want to do the second item regardless. Most people just
use the wheels that came with the chair.
The hard wheels on my computer chair in the basement tore up the hard
asphalt tiles glued to my cement floor.
Been meaning to get a mat.
I'd say no matter what wheels roll on vinyl, you need to keep the
wheels and floor clean and smooth, because a piece of grit stuck to a
wheel will eventually have its way, and scratch the vinyl.
Even the best vinyl is still vinyl and not very hard..
That's why I'd go with mats on vinyl. And probably on any floor you
don't want marred by rolling chairs.

I'd recommend a ball type such as this one
http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html

No wheels on Vinyl
For it will damage it