Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Snake kitchen sink too often

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:09:55 AM UTC-4, Red Green wrote:
TimR wrote in

:

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:53:38 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:55:02 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Also don't use hot water when using disposal unit.

Why not?

Garbage disposers are not made for continuous duty and rely on cold

water to cool the motor. Hot water allows the heat to build up and

shortens the life, sometimes dramatically.

No sale.

I dunno. That's what I've been told, and it seemed to make sense. I've seen disposals run for longer periods, like when cleaning up after a large holiday meal, and they do get hot and sometimes shut down. There are lots of applications where motors are undersized or undercooled and can only run intermittently without overheating - think cheap drills or saws e.g.

But I can't prove it.

Of course when the disposal isn't running you can dump hot water down, but when it's turned on I only use cold.