Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Snake kitchen sink too often

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Addendum:

Several answers on this thread about what to put down
drain to forestall problems.

One said boiling water. One said rock salt mixture. One
said powdered ?? from homeowner store. (Incidentally,
someone told me once that plumbers love to have you use
those drain cleaners because it makes work for them.
***IS THIS TRUE?***

Finally, ******what about plumber's recommendation of
bleach?******

1. Hot water - REALLY hot water - *may* help liquify grease. Hot water +
detergent would do better.

2. I guess rock salt might help if you have plant roots under your sink (to
kill the plants).

3. I don't know what "powdered ??" is.

4. Bleach would kill most of the germs; the one's it didn't kill would then
begin reproducing like mad. Beyond that, it won't do squat.

If you want to dissolve organic matter - grease, hair, food particles,
whatever - lye is the thing. Lye in the form of crystalline Drano. Follow
the instructions, it won't hurt your pipes

FWIW, in 60 years I have never had a kitchen sink stop up. Bathroom,
yes...hair down the draun which Drano promptly ate up.

--

dadiOH