Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default For harry

harryagain wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

But are producing bugger all as I type, it's too dark and there is
**** all wind. In fact we are importing twice as much from France as
wind is producing. Most of our lecky (84%) is currently coming from
coal, followed by nuke then CCGT.

That is because we don't yet have the full range of renewables.
We are notably lacking tidal power.

Ask your self this. It's summer, and electricity consumption is at
it's minimum for the year. Demand at midnight was about 25 GW

Wind, and Biomass are producing ~1GW.

If all the *possible* tidal-power sites were on-stream, would they
have produced the remaining ~24GW at that time?

It's now daylight, what is Solar adding to the mix, as demand rises
above 37GW?

When it's cloudy, windless, and maximum tide, what would 'renewables'
provide to meet the demand?

I hope you don't have a heart attack at such a time.
--
Terry Fields