Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Well Storage Tank Set-up and Installation

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:44:01 PM UTC-7, Coccopine wrote:
I purchased a home a couple years ago that was a foreclosure home. It is

way out in the country and runs on a well system. The well is about 365 ft

deep and has a 3HP 230V 60hz submersible pump set at about 350 ft down the

well. Up a hill about 300 ft from the well head is a concrete and gravel

pad where a water storage tank used to sit. I am told that the previous

owners removed the storage tank and booster pump system when they left the

home during the foreclosure process. The first year I was in the home I

was too busy moving in etc to worry much about the outside landscaping

needs. This year I repaired all the landscaping water lines etc and

started to water everything the way it should have been and discovered an

issue. The well pump is capable of pumping about 20 gallons a minute from

the well but the well appears to only be capable of supplying about 7 to 8

gallons per minute. Therefore it pumps like crazy for about 15 minutes and

then begins to starve.

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

The big cost will be the tank but you may be able to find a used one somewhere.

Can't help much as haven't worked them but below is one way to do it, may not be the professional way though.

Basic set up is to run your well pump on a timer to limit how long it can run without running out of water feeding the tank. A float switch in the tank to tell the pump when the tank is full. The booster pump and tank should come in swell under a $500, basically all you need is a shallow well pump at the tank and another pressure tank plus associated electrical controls...