Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Duncan Wood[_5_] Duncan Wood[_5_] is offline

Default DIY car spray paint? not available from dealer or Halfords

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:12:50 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

On 05/07/2013 20:30, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
My daughter got her Fiat Panda keyed quite badly the other day, and I
want to do a DIY repaint as she doesn't want to claim on insurance or
spend £100's at the local body shop. It certainly needs spraying; one
of
those touch-up sets with a brush won't cut the mustard.

paints4u.com have been briliant in the past for me and friends. They are
also recommended on detailingworld.com (and you won't find a fussier
group of people!)

This is just a follow-up to say thanks for the advice - I went with
paints4u and the colour match was perfect!

Also - I'd really appreciate a bit of further advice please at this
point...

I've sanded, primed, and applied the top coat; all good so far. Colour
is fine but the currently the finish is definitely slightly matt ie not
perfectly smooth like a finished car body. Should I be using more
wet-and-dry now? If so, followed by more paint, or is it straight to the
lacquer then?

I've been googling for this stuff all day but am getting conflicting
information (some may just relate to metallic paint? and there's a
helluva lot which assumes you have pro kit and 2-part
paint/lacquer/hardener systems etc)

FYI the paints4u kit I bought includes aerosols of primer, paint, and
lacquer and a glass vial of polish.

(Do you actually use lacquer with non-metallic paint, which is what I'm
dealing with?)

Thanks
David

It want's to be shiny before you apply the clearcoat, if it originally had
clearcoat then use it, if not don't.