Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default kitchen floor damaged by chairs with wheels.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 20:19:45 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

60 years ago, we got some junk mail with a coaster-sized
(3" in
diameter) piece of flooring 3/16" thick where the pattern
went all the
way from the top to the bottom. But I don't know if they
still make
this stuff, and I don't remember its name. ?? It had
little square
chips etc. floating in a clear material. It was very
pretty, but we
didn't need a floor.

(In a 3" diameter circle it was not very flexible, but I
suppose a
big piece of it could be rolled up. )

Armstrong use to make a inlaid vinyl floor called Solarian
that was tough as hell, but it was glue down and not loose
lay.
Any loose lay is more than likely going to a skin vinyl and
won't withstand wheels

Solarian! That's it!!!!. I couldn't get "Congoleum" out of my head.

Also, "inlaid" is a very good word for my quest.

It's well worth gluing it down if that's what it takes.

I'm trying to find out if they still make it.

I guess not.
http://www.thefloorpro.com/community...-solarian.html
"Its easy for you Barry because your a trained professional with years
of experience. Armstrong was getting killed on claims because of the
lack of quality installers with the skills to pattern rooms and under
scribe seams.

Products like that will probably never come back to residential work,
to hard for the average installer to work with."

Optimist that I am, I'll keep looking for something similar.

Thanks a lot.