Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_25_] Jeff[_25_] is offline

Default Exterior of new Kenmore freezer is very hot

replying to MaryL, Jeff wrote:
carstan101 wrote:

I just bought a Kenmore upright self-defrosting freezer. This is a
replacement for an Amana manual defrosting chest freezer that I had for

more
than 20 years.
I have noticed that the outside of this freezer gets *very* hot. The
instruction manual says that it is normal for it to be as much as 30

degrees
hotter than room temperature. Neither the older chest freezer nor my
current Maytag refrigerator/freezer (bottom freezer drawer) are anything
like this. The chest freezer would have slight warmth, and the Maytage

does
not show any heat at all.
I am concerned that this amount of heat may mean that I will end up paying
more in air condition bills, in addition to the normal "energy use" of the
freezer itself? Is this a legitimate concern? Does anyone know if there
are better-insulated freezers, and should I consider returning this one?
Secondly, I could move the freezer out of the house and into the attached
garage. However, it gets *very* hot here in the summers (East Texas), so

wonder if that would simply make my situation worse.

Hi, Mary.

I think you should be concerned if the outside temp of the unit is 30F
above the room temp of say, 70F. This would make your freezer exterior
temp around 100F. My Kenmore gets so hot on the exterior that I cannot
touch it. It gets hot mainly on the end where the mechanism is, left as
you face the front of the freezer. I'm planning to find out if this is a
fire hazard and may return my unit. However, the meat on the inside seems
to be frozen solid. Jeff

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...hot-36322-.htm