Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New Garbage Disposal Recommendations???

"Danny D." wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:13:20 -0400, BobMCT wrote:

I'd like to keep the purchase cost $300.

See also Consumer Reports, but I found them rather unhelpful:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/g...-disposers.htm

All I know is only from a recent purchase.
1) I'd get stainless steel innards; but I don't personally know
if that makes it last any longer.
2) I'd get 3/4 HP; but most seem to do just fine with 1/2 HP.
3. My 3/4 HP stainless steel "elements" cost $179 + tax, so,
about $200, and that comes with the sink hardware and the
exit elbow. Add $5 for caulking & $15 for a power cord.

Why $15 dollars for a cord? I wired mine through the wall switch with a
length of Romex.

And what exactly are you "caulking"? Do you mean plumber's putty for the
drain assembly? There's a big difference between caulk and plumber's putty.

BTW Where do you buy your supplies? A 6 cord, with connector for a GD, is
under $10 and a small tub of putty, enough to last you for years, is under
$2.