Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_3_] gonjah[_3_] is offline

Default What's a good way to tell if a pool drain is actually working?

On 7/21/2013 5:03 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 06:28:27 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

What's a good test of a pool drain (whether it's working or not)?

My pool is a bit complex, and, I'm trying to troubleshoot a poorly
functioning (supposedly) self-cleaning system, and, one datapoint
would be which of the 5 drains are working at any particular time.

I put my hands next to them, but I can't feel anything flowing.
What's a good test?

Here, for the record, is a picture of the main drain (yellow) on
the deep end and the main safety drain nearby on the wall (red):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9330554473/

Here is a picture of a drain on the wall under one of the skimmers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9330560893/

And, here are two drains on the bottom of the spa:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9330564727/

Given there are five drains, and three pumps (filter, cleaner, and
spa), it behooves me to figure out which drains are actually working
properly.

Hence the question:
Q: How best can we tell whether a drain is working properly at any
one point in time?

Use food coloring in a small squeeze bottle. Squirt a little near the
drain and see where it goes. That is the same trick you use to find
pool leaks.

Yup. I've been told to use the Phenol reagent (the red stuff) but I
think food color is probably a better idea.