Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default kitchen floor damaged by chairs with wheels.

"harryagain" wrote in message ...

"micky" wrote in message
My kitchen is 12' x 12 (if one goes to the wall everywhere despite
appliances and cabinets) ' and it came with a floor made of sheet
vinyl, No seams. The floor looked great when it was 10 or 15 years
old, until I bought two kitchen chairs with casters on them.

The wheels were like a rolling pin, rolling out a pie crust, with the
vinyl pushed ahead of the wheel and after 6 or 9 months the top layer
of the vinyl, where all the decoration is, was falling off.

But I like wheels on the chairs, and I want to get a new one-piece
floor that won't be ruined by wheels.

I was in HDepot tonight and even at 3.25 a square foot, the pattern
layer was a thin layer on a thick layer of plain white vinyl. The
sign bragged about a bunch of features but said not a word about
wheels.

What would you all recomomend that comes in a one-piece sheet but
won't have its pattern ruined by chair wheels?

I'd like to put it down myself if I can.

Although the last time I bought a floor he trimmed it in literally 4
minutes what would have taken me 4 hours. Charged only the current
equivalent of 40 dollars.

Maybe make a stencil from the old floor and cut it to the same
dimensions.

Thanks.

Forget your stupid HD and get a commercial grade of non-patterned vinyl or
rubber flooring.
The colour is through and through so any scratch marks can be buffed off.
In a domestic situation it will last a lifetime, literally.

If you have no floor laying skills, you will just have to pay and get
someone in.

Ditto. We have replaced everything from floors to appliance to countertops to cabinets at one time or another and always looked at Home Depot and Lowes and the other hardware stores first, but always end up with a specialty shop. Have been happy so far. Some HD stuff is fine, but I would never know what to look for and then find out 2-3 years later if it was good or not.

Talk to several specialty shops and also ask them about wheels. They may know what kind of wheel is easier on the floor.