Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_2_] Dr.  Deb[_2_] is offline

Default need an easy turning wood

asdfasdf wrote:

I need to turn the nozzle of a rocket engine...

here is a picture...

http://www.stevepinker.com/North-Ame...9081&k=Bbmvkvg

or

http://tinyurl.com/kbwbk2g

It is going to be about 3" diameter and 4" long. It won't be
incredibly detailed but the ribs should show. It will be
hollowed out a bit but the wall thickness will be much greater
than the picture. I need a wood that will turn easy without
tear out and should be cheap. The grain is not important as
it will be painted. Any recommendations?

If you are going to paint it, color does not matter, nor does the ability to
get it gloss smooth. Popular, pine, walnut, mahogany, jarrah, cherry - in
other words, the wood does not matter. What matters is how sharp the tools
are and your skill.

Glue up a blank. Take it slow. Have fun.

Deb