Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Weedkiller / root killer

On 20/07/2013 20:24, Steve Firth wrote:
Phil wrote:

Huge wrote:
On 2013-07-20, Phil wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

It 'can' kill through root absorption, not *will*, the chances are it would
kill flimsy weeds like grass etc through the roots, hardly likely to have
any effect whatsoever on a tree, unless it was used in industrial amounts,
and obviously, if it was even available at all, which it isn't, which makes
it a moot point.

For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....ides&Itemid=53

Well as its a thin strip and will only take around a couple of gallons
of solution I will rip out what roots I can and then dose the ground
with a mixture of whatever I have of various lawn and pathclear
variants, i`ll make it a strong mixture. Fill in the strip with cut to
size slabs and grout with a strong cement mix.