Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

On 7/20/13 1:13 AM, Bob F wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

The motor is still on the saw, but I can't get to it at the
moment. There's too much junk in front of it. When I get to it,
hopefully soon, I will get better information. Most of the purpose
of my post was to learn whether there is any reason to waste time
on it. It sounds like there may be. At least the saw may be
interesting to someone else if I decide to give it away.

Radial arm saws are available free frequently on Craigslist and
freecycle. Many are newer than yours. If you want a usable one, that
might be a better approach.

I wish I had never wasted the money on mine. A table saw is a way
more useful tool to me. A mitre saw does almost anything a radial arm
saw has ever done for me.

To each his own. I got mine for 50 bucks and the following week had
the replacement table and saw guard from Emerson delivered.
I spent a long day totally disassembling, cleaning, lubing, and
calibrating all the adjustments and angle scales, and installing the new
table and guard.

With a good quality, negative hook cross cut blade, it produces
extremely accurate, clean cuts. I also added sawdust collection to it so
it cuts with virtually no dust. I do almost all my rough crosscutting on
it and can do final crosscuts when it's too inconvenient to use the
table saw sled.

The only negative I can think of is the space it takes up. But that's
more a limitation of my one car garage sized shop than the tool. It now
sits in a wall bench next to and on the same plane as the 12" CMS.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--