Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/13 21:36, ss wrote:
On 19/07/13 17:44, ss wrote:
I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid
concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of
roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness. What is the
best way to deal with this, ideally one of the weedkillers that will
kill it off and prevent regrowth for as long as possible. The roots
belong to trees/shrubs/ivy which is on the other side of my wall and
the roots have over the years forced their way through onto my land so
I cant attack by spraying the leaves as the shrubs are not my property.

Any ideas

the best thing to do really is to dig a trench down a few feet at the
property or path boundary, cutting all the roots.

The depth will depend on what the roots are from. Some trees go very
deep. Others are relatively shallow

And fill it with concrete.

It needn't be wide at all.

killing the roots with anything but something that poisons the soil
forever is useless. They will come back.

The concrete wall will imply let the roots inside it die, and prevent
more lateral creep

You MAY be able to simply drive some steel shuttering down instead.

But the trick is to cut the roots and put in a barrier/.

Thanks for the replies so far but to add to my problem ...I have just
built a 40 foot fence along the boundary wall and digging out the post
holes (using a manual auger) was tough going in places mainly due to
stones the roots didnt cause too much of an issue, its probably fair
to say that the roots have been snapped every 6 feet, I got most posts
down between 18-22 inches, having built this and in my 60s this plus
moving some slabs appears to have weakened my back so I wont be
digging a trench hence looking for something to kill the roots my
side, most of the patio area is and will remain intact, the strip
where the roots are is only 13" wide and about 30 feet long but had
badly laid concrete which I have now lifted. As I probably wont be
around in 10 years I am not too concerned if they eventually re
appear, the current root formations havent caused any issues that I
can see.
Now I know it cant be bought and it is banned now but would #odium
klorate have done the trick.

hire a mini digger.

The smallest will do.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.