Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Refrigerator Door Won't Close Properly

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Robert,

Thanks for posting a link to the manual. The doors are discussed on pg
11-14. There aren't any adjustments.

I'm glad you confirmed that for me. It does seem very odd that there's no
adjustment.

I'd remove the doors and watch for missing hardware by comparing the
manual to your fridge hinges. Keep an eye out for the plastic washers.

Look
at the hinge brackets, perhaps one is bent. Put everything back together

and
hope for the best.

Here's the latest result of my investigation. The door light switch seems
to be locking up and not retracting into the switch body on occasion. I
can't figure out why because it seems to work just fine by hand. It could be
that it's just at the angle where the mating part of the door could make it
stick by hitting the very end of the switch lever instead of the center.
Whatever the cause, liifting the door slightly moves the spot where the
switch contact the door but it seems so damn unlikely considering how
effectively it stopped the door from closing. It felt just like something
oversized was on the shelves (which is why I cleared them and stood
dumbfounded when it still happened).

When I went to look at the PDF I downloaded it said the file was damaged.
Apparently not for you. Just another problem to debug. This seems to have
been the day for them! Each time I fixed something, the very next thing I
touched went hinky on me.

I'm still a long way from popping the door although I did think, from
reading the manual that I eventually DL'ed from GE, that if that plastic
spacer cracked, the outcome would be a hosed door. I intend to do as the
manual suggested and check to see if the gap between the two doors is
consistent all the way across.

Thanks for your input, Dave.

--
Bobby G.