Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

On 7/19/2013 11:36 AM, Markem wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:55:41 -0500, wrote:
Nobody can really tell you anything specific w/o the model and whether
it's worth putting money into in the end depends mostly on whether if it
did run you'd ever use it or not.

I did a motor replacement on a Sears RAS, got the motor from Emerson
for a bit over $100 including shipping. The motor that was replaced
worked, but the play in it caused cuts wider than the blade by about
1/16th" on a 3/32" blade, and it was rather noisy.

Hmmmm....that sounds like neat trick given the nature of RAS and their
motors being in the head casting and generally specific to model...

Did you find an exact replacement or wing something else in it's stead?
Or was this somewhat unusual configuration that somehow had a normal
motor mounted? (Inquiring minds and all that ... )

I had an old 10" B&D (well actually still have it but it's never used
since have the 16" Delta now) that I pined to upgrade the electricals
from the 120V under powered to the 240V 2 hp that fit into the same
case. But I couldn't bring myself to spring for the (what seemed like
big at the time) bucks and by the time I finally was ready to pull the
lanyard the parts were NLA...