Posted to rec.woodworking
godsword godsword is offline

Default Old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

On 7/19/2013 8:03 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:51:52 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

My father left me a Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw from the sixties.
Unfortunately, the motor is gone. It hasn't been turned on in 30 years. It's in
my way. While there may be some sentimental value, I think I'm at the point that
I'm going to give it away.

My question is this. Aren't the new RAS more precise than the old ones? Neither
my father nor I is/was a woodworker, but wouldn't he likely get rid of the old
RAS and buy a new one (or get a sliding compound miter) instead?

A new motor is $300, if it's still available. It's possible that I may be able
to have the one on it rebuilt, but then I'd have a 50 year old saw that may or
may not be a good one. There are some on Craigslist here that I may be able to
get the motor from, but then again, it's a 50 year old saw.

Before giving it away you might want to jot down the model number of your RAS
and check it he

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

You might be entilted to a $100 check if the mocel number of your RAS is one
that they do NOT offer an updated guard kit.

That will not help him, because he does NOT have the motor. To get that
$100 check, you have to send them the motor and the motor carrier. If
you have the right model, they will send you a shipping box, with the
return paid for. After they receive the motor assembly, and the serial
numbers check out, they will send you a check.

It worked for me.