Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup Question

On 7/19/2013 6:10 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
Since I'd never heard of Sketchup, I checked it out and found it to be $600. Is
that the version you guys are using? There is a student version for $49, but
it's only good for a year.

Sketchup Make is free. Could that be the one you're using?

The Pro version has presentation features that are totally unnecessary
for 99.9% of what a woodworker needs for drawing/modeling; and there are
workarounds for most of the remainder when using the free version of
Sketchup (currently know as "Sketchup Make").

I built a home for a client using the free version a few years back, and
the only reason I needed to switch to the Pro version was for the
ability to print full size construction plans for
permitting/bidding/building ... all the drawing/modeling was done using
the free version, and nothing has changed in that regard in the interim
as far as capability.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net