Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default My sears radial arm saw motor won't turn over when I turn iton.

On 7/19/2013 7:24 AM, Just Another Joe wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Could very well be the centrifugal switch that removes the start
capacitor from the circuit once the motor is running.

If so, it is a total PITA to replace since you have to open up the
motor.

Lew may very well be correct.

I had a similar problem with my Sears RAS last year.

It turns out that the motor was LOADED with about a pound and a half of
very fine sawdust. The sheer volume was preventing the the centrifugal
switch from doing its' job. It wasn't broken, it just wouldn't switch
from start to run because it was packed almost full with the dust.

The solution that worked for me was to remove the motor from the arm,
open it up, vacuum what I could, and then blow the living hell out of
it with compressed air. The last part I would recommend be done outside
if your airline is long enough ;-)

Lew is also correct, it is a PITA to take it of and get to the insides,
but in the end, it was worth it. Purrs like a kitten once more.

Joe

PS

Another possible solution is Craig's list. Sears' RAS sell anywhere
from $75 to $150 in my area (SE Pennsylvania). It would be a cheap
source for a replacement motor if I needed one.

I also had a Sears Table Saw motor that the solution to the non start
was a thorough internal cleaning. They are fairly simple to disassemble.

As part of the cleanup with each use all openings on the motor gets
vacuumed.