Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default My sears radial arm saw motor won't turn over when I turn it on.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:51:25 +0000, Jerry
wrote:

I replaced the capacitor but like before the motor just hums and then
trips the circuit breaker. What else could it be. It did this earlier
and I cleaned off the contacts on the original capacitor and it worked for
a while. After it stopped working again I presumed it was a bad capacitor
so I replaced it only to find that there must be another problem. When
I turn the shaft by hand there seems to be a drag, it doesn"t turn
freely. Is there possibly something connected with the brake that is not
releasing??????

Could also be a bad bearing giving the drag.