Posted to rec.woodworking
m II m II is offline

Default My sears radial arm saw motor won't turn over when I turn it on.

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:51:25 +0000, Jerry
I turn the shaft by hand there seems to be a drag, it doesn"t turn
freely. Is there possibly something connected with the brake that is
not
releasing??????

Sounds like the brushes to me.

------

Usually no brushes on a cap start motor.

If it is a cap run ???

If it is a cap start look for a centrifugal switch contact to cut off
the start cap. Sawdust and sparking in dust burn it out. Some used a
current sensor to cut off the cap. After the RPMs get up the lower
current drops out the contact to the cap. Remove the end bell of the
motor . Make sure to scratch alignment marks in both end bells across
the main housing first.

--

mike