Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_10_] Danny D.[_10_] is offline

Default How to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak outthe bottom?

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:31:30 -0700, wrote:

now what about the clogged drain under the house
that was causing the backup

When I replaced the garbage disposal on Tuesday, the water
leaking from that garbage disposal under the cabinet stopped;
but the sink was still backing up with water when the washing
machine ran.

So, I returned yesterday with the 50' and 75' snakes:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/9...8f9b9302_o.gif

I am not sure if I solved anything, but I went into the outside
drain about 60 feet (the house is only about 40 feet long) until
I could go no longer (even though the snake is 75 feet long).

Two problems I had we
a) The snake kept kinking up (and it's a brand new 75' cable!)
b) It stopped dead at 60 feet (which must be halfway under the lawn)

So, I gave up (I had hoped to go the entire 75 feet, which might
even make it to the road). I know of no other cleanout but there
must be one under the lawn somewhere (right?).

Anyway, I poured water down the washing machine drain with a
garden hose for twenty minutes, and, nothing backed up.

So, while I have no idea why the snake just stopped dead at
60 feet (it had stopped twice prior, but I was able to get
past whatever stopped it), I "think" whatever was clogged is
no longer clogged (this black ooze like black paint came out).