Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default AFCI test rig and test design

wrote in message
On the subject of trhe over and under push-button light switches, those
date back to the early 1930's, probably even earlier. My grandparents had
them in their 1901-built house in Woodside, Queens, NYC, in the 1940's, and
they were old and worn looking even then (both my grandparents and the light
switches). The house had been converted from gas lighting to electric by
running the electric wires in the old gas pipes in many of the rooms. The
house is still there as far as I know, 39-27 56th street.

These switches came from a house in Brooklyn, NY of about the same vintage.
One button is white (for on) the other is black (for off). They still work,
too.

Same deal for gas lights converted to electrical lights. Heated by coal
until the 40's, IIRC.

--
Bobby G.