Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Jointer safety question

On 7/17/2013 9:36 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I need to trim a slight bevel into the face of a 6/4x4x12 hunk of hard maple. I'm using the board for a face for the tail vise of the new bench. As it turns out, the movable jaw is a tad askew resulting in a nearly 1/4 inch gap at the top when fully closed.

My thought is to glue a 1/4x1/4 inch strip across the length of the piece along the edge of the face and then run this through the jointer until the strip disappears. Would you consider this a safe operation?

Larry

Do more than 1/4... that way it closes, and the more pressure you apply
the more the top will grip until the bottom catches up.
That's what I did to my faces.

--
Jeff