Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat5 - Shielded or not

On 17/07/13 18:08, RJH wrote:
On 07/06/2013 22:02, tony sayer wrote:
In article om, mick
scribeth thus
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:40:24 -0700, Roy Brophy wrote:

I am running a Cat 5 cable close to a 6mm SWA cable over a 15M run.

Is it worth using shielded Cat 5?

It's supplying a garden studio so there will be the occasional
electric
fire / kettle kicking in and out.

Roy

At 15m and if trenching allowed, I'd just bury some hosepipe a
minimum of
12" (preferably 24") away from the armoured & thread cat6 through
it. The
pipe lets you pull another through if you need to (include a draw
wire!).
You should be able to use gigabit ethernet over that - something
that wifi
can only dream about. It's simpler and cheaper than fibre. OTOH, if you
can't allow that sort of spacing, then fibre is really the only answer.

Why would you need to be 2 foot away from a cable thats very effectively
shielded?.

CAT 5 is a very good balanced transmission system and is inherently good
at rejecting other electric fields, so why so far away?..

I'm running some cat6 alongside mains cable in places - obviously,
it's the easiest route to follow through a house. I did read that it's
not advisable, but thought I'd give it a try and so far, so good. Do
you think that ethernet-next-to-mains-equals-disaster is an urban myth?

no. Its just rather poor practice, because potentially under very
unusual circs. you might get a shock inserting your todger into a cat 5
socket.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.