Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default AFCI test rig and test design

"gregz" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

Any ideas about what other tests I might perform are welcome. I'm just

not
comfortable relying on an on board "Test Button" to determine whether

the
AFCI is still protecting against arc faults.

For some reason, I always like to arc the light switches. You put a load
across a light switch, then very slowly make or break the connection. You
can usually hear the buzz. Everyone has done that, right ?

Not me! That's a good one. I hadn't thought about wiring in the lighting
circuits to protect against arc faults but you bring up a good point and
another item to add to my checklist. I probably should break the AFCI
outlet out of the single gang box and wire it into a duplex box test rig
with a light switch I can "jigger" to create an arc.

I seem to recall at least a few of the switches I have are "snap" switches
specifically designed to resist arcing. I'm sure I have something that will
work in the "box of the undead" electrical equipment. I even have some
switches going back to the to the two black cylinders stacked like
stoplights where when you push the lower one in, the upper one pops out. I
assume they're from 1940 or so because they were in the box I inherited from
my junk saving father. (-:

Thanks for your input, Greg.

--
Bobby G.