Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default Which of these 4 spots (2 on tire, 2 on wheel) are supposed to be lined up?

blue bmw wrote in :

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:34:53 +0000, Tegger wrote:

Those dots are a /starting point only/.

Hi Tegger,
That's the whole point!

The tire installer doesn't even START installing tires correctly
(unless we tell them how to mount our tires properly!).

Tire installers can't rely solely on the paint marks. Sometimes you're
mounting used tires, or swapping snows and summer tires for a customer who
has only one set of wheels. Dots can disappear after a couple of winters.

In those cases you need to know the basics of mounting and of how to get
the tire to spin true on the rim. In such cases, you need to guess at
first, then correct as needed until the tire spins true.

The result, from their invariably bad starting point, is that more
weight is eventually added than was needed,

More weight does not correct for poor mounting. If vibration doesn't happen
immediately, it will occur once the the tread wears unevenly from the poor
mounting, no matter how much weight you stuck on there.

and that's bad from
various points of view, especially when/if one of those weights
subsequently falls off.

A) The wheel is *really* out of balance by then

Not out-of-balance, but out-of round. Getting it round /before/ you balance
is the point. You can stuff the rim full of weights, but you're only
(maybe) masking, not curing. See my paragraph above.

If in doubt go to Costco. At least their installers have some official
training from the tire companies.

--
Tegger