View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Does anyone know how the retracting mechainsm works on a (Nikon)digital camera?

A Coolpix S9300 was dropped on the lens when I had had it for n a week.

The front metal piece containing the lens cover is severely dented and came off.But the rest of the camera looks fine. However the unit was left with the lens in the out position and wouldn't retract. (actually with a lot of playing with it, the camera works but the non-retracting lens now wont focus on the working screen.

That piece cant cost all that much and must be easy to fit. It looks as if it just pushes on to the front of the forward cylinder. Has anyone any experience of this please and should I take it to a local repair shop which can buy the parts from Nikon if the repair is that easy?

The problem, obviously, is that I have spoken to the shop and whoever answers the telephone there tells me that they send all Coolpix repairs of the slightest complexity back to Nikon (who will charge more than the $100 which the camera is worth to repair it)

Does anyone know how these retractable lenses work please? There is a pin going into the lens which activates the lens cover. Does anyone think that putting the front piece back on will suddenly activate the electronics governing the whole lens again please?