Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Which of these 4 spots (2 on tire, 2 on wheel) are supposed to be lined up?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 06:26:38 +0000 (UTC), blue bmw
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:08:47 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Get your tires balanced by a shop that does road force balancing.

I don't disagree that road force balancing is best, but, how many
shops have you seen who spin the rim against a separate wheel before
mounting the tire on the rim?

With road force balancing the procedure is to turn the tire on the rim
it's mounted on, to where the least weight has to be used to strike
the balance. Whether the guy knows how to do it properly, or wants to
do it properly instead of just using more weights is unknown.
You just can't control everything, so get used to it.
The dots are manufacturing QC only, to minimize bad batches, and
nobody properly balancing tires pays any attention to the tire dots,
because the rims may have a different balance point. And that could
be at a point other than the valve stem.
It's a crap shoot. So just pick a good balancing shop. If you feel
bad vibes, take it back and have them redo it.
Usually it's good the first time, but I've had to take my vehicles
back a couple times. They rebalanced the problem wheels at no extra
cost.