Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beat a Farmer to Death With Baseball Bats

On 7/12/13 5:27 PM, wrote:
What is it with people, farmers included, and the idea that farmers
are not supposed to make a profit?

No other business on this planet would be content with operating
barely at break-even or loss levels, year after year. They'd either
change something, or they'd fold and find something else to do.

Commodity prices are up, so farmers have their heads a little above
water for a change. Yet, not even the
openly-manipulate-the-system-to-your-own-benefit-without-apology
Republicans will congratulate them on their success.

Farming is the epitomy of working hard and saving pennies. I thought
this was a country where you worked hard, saved your pennies, and you
would be rewarded with success and riches beyond your wildest
dreams?

With a bit of luck. I've known some farmers who seemed pretty
frugal and still went out of business. Their marketing decisions
probably make as much difference as anything.
A tractor can cost $300,000. That's nothing particularly out of
this world.
Ground in my area of Nebraska is hitting $14,000 per acre. The
average farm is about 575 acres or so. These are family farms, not
some corporate entity. Farmers do incorporate but it isn't like
they're Monsanto or Pioneer.
Times are really good in farming now. And everyone knows the bad
times are coming.