View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Windows xp is activated

On 07/14/2013 10:58 AM, wrote:
Microsoft doesn't threaten, they just do it. In fact they don't even do it, the OS does it automatically unless it is registered.

When you build the system there is a file generated with the hardware profile. Any major changes in hardware will delete this file and force you to reregister. If you don't, up comes a warning onscreen prompting you to register and actually IIRC there is a phone number to do it just in case you do not have internet access.

Even with XP Pro, the preferred OS of people who build PCs in their basement becasue it does not require such activation you can get screwed, you can lose it. With that OS you MUST turn off automatic updates during the reboot after installing SP2, otherwise on every bootup it will prompt you to install what's called "Microsoft Advantage". It's an advantage alright. If you accidentally hit the "Enter" key at his time you WILL lose your OS in a few weeks.

Now it is entirely possible these days for a virus to exist and for them to disable your PC. This applies to almost any OS.

If you have the disks, back up everything and tell the guy to tell them to go **** off. Either that or tell them he switched to Linux. See what they say to that. Believe me it is NOT Microsoft as you presumed, but it would be nice to tell them you switched if it was......:-)

BTW the little tip about XP Pro is because I can't stand scam artists, and Microsoft is a scam artist.

I'm pretty sure people who build computers for fun or because they have
no choice prefer Linux. Microsoft and Apple both tend walled gardens.
Apple thinks their poop is odorific and Microsoft thinks this is East
Germany. They both demand cash every time you want to add a tool.