Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HDTV

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013, Humbled Survivor wrote:

My cable tv company switched the signal to HDTV, so naturally my tube TV
doesn't pick up the signal. All I get is fuzz.

I have found not one converter that switches HDTV back down to analog. All
the ones on the market are for antennas only. They try to dupe you that it
converts a coaxial cable HDTV signal from the cable company to analog, but
none of them do that.

It's like taking an upgrade from the past and downgrading it to the past
again. Nobody is making such junk. Prove me wrong, but I have found
nothing.

The only solution I have in sight is to buy an HD TV for hundreds of
dollars.

When Canada went to DTV in September 2 years ago, I did put off dealing
with it until the May of that year. We didn't get the free converter deal
that the US got, and initially the flyers were showing $80 coverters.

And at that point I decided I might as well spend $120 more and get an
actual HDTV set. I got the better definition, I got an LCD set (so much
smaller, and less heat it seems), I got closed captions (I was using a
Commodore monitor with a VCR for reception for about 15 years, before that
a TV set too old to do captions), and some other new and neat things. It
was also the first new tv set I'd gotten since 1982. SO the money wasnt'
that bad, and I would have had to spend just under half for a converter.

Sometimes change is good, you'll actually get better definition, rather
than the new transmission on an old tv set.

Mytv set runs Linux, my old tv set didn't even have a computer. And that
blu-ray player that I found in the garbage on July 1st is working fine,
and it too runs Linux.

Michael