Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default EMT electrical conduit -- how many NM wires?

RBM wrote:
On 7/12/2013 4:01 PM, TomR wrote:
I have a dedicated 15-amp circuit in an unfinished basement that
runs to an outlet on the wall for the sump pump. The wire/cable
that goes to the outlet is white 14/2 NM-B w/ground. From the
ceiling down to the outlet it is fed inside of metal EMT conduit. I
assume that the metal conduit is 1/2-inch (the outside diameter of
the conduit is about 3/4-inch). I would like to add a pull string ceiling
light above the sump pump
for better lighting while working on the sump pump and/or the HVAC
which is next to the sump pump.

What I am thinking of doing is getting power for the light from the
outlet and running new 14/2 NM-B w/ground from the existing outlet
back up through the same EMT metal conduit to the new ceiling light.

My main question is, is it okay to have two 14/2 NM-B w/ground
cables inside a 1/2-inch EMT metal conduit?

If you run NM inside of metallic conduit, the metal should terminate
in you box using a proper fitting. At the other end of the conduit
sleeve, there should either be a choke or a bushing on the end of the
conduit and a staple into some framing near the end of the conduit.

Thanks. That's how the conduit and wiring is set up now -- with the right
fittings clamps, etc.

If you need more cable entries in the box, use additional sleeves.

Okay.