Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI Caused a Fire!

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:57:11 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 07/11/2013 12:08 PM, bud-- wrote:
On 7/10/2013 1:54 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:56:28 -0600,
wrote:

On 7/9/2013 10:40 AM,
wrote:
Can you use pigtails in Canada? (e.g. purple wire nuts with copper
pigtails) that could be another option if for whatever reason it is
inconvenient to use the breakers)

nate
You CAN use pigtails - with either the expensive crimp-on system or
the bi-metal wire nuts - but the wire nut pigtails in particular are
actually more problematic than a non-CoAlr device directly on the
aluminum wire.(assuming second generation aluminum)

Probably not much 2nd generation wire around. But the UL testing for
CoAlr devices is done with it.

There was extensive research done on aluminum connections for the CPSC.
The engineer that did the research did not like the only wire nuts that
are UL listed for aluminum (Ideal 65?). He preferred 3M ScotchLoks,
after abrading the wire to remove oxide and adding antioxide paste. Wire
nuts installed that way are quite reliable, and certainly better than
some of the non-CoAlr devices.

He now recommends King Innovation AlumiConn connectors.

The alumiconns are the ones that require a trained, licences, and
certified installer and cost about $10 each installed???

That is COPALUM, which is an AMP product, and I suspect there are not
many installers left.

With AlumiConn the connection is made with a set screw.
http://www.electricalmarketplace.com...Fe4-MgodtmsAxw

It appears to be a good splice when made according to the manufacturer's
instructions. It is also UL and ULC listed for aluminum.

Cheaper than a COPALUM at about $3.50 each locally, and more secure
than a wire nut and not as much of an issue for box fill issues

The current recommendations for aluminum connections by the engineer in
my previous post is at
http://www.kinginnovation.com/pdfs/R...Fire070706.pdf

In merry old England wire nuts have not been used in a long time, and I
think AlumiConns are similar to what is used for all small branch
circuit splices.

So what is currently used in England for wire splices in house wiring?
the push in "chocolate block" things? I've seen them used in LV
applications but they seem too close to a backstab receptacle for me to
feel really comfortable with them.

Not really in any way pertinent to anything I'll be doing any time soon,
but I just find this stuff interesting.

nate