View Single Post
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Ping Mike and or Nailshooter In San Antonio

On 7/11/2013 12:10 AM, wrote:

I'll hollar at'cha when the time comes. This table will be for my son.

Absolutely my pleasure to help this little bit when I can.

So many of the little mills that were around here have gone broke with the economy crash. If they were selling finished furniture made from their milled product, they might have a chance with income from lumber and furniture. But the small guys with the large Wood Mizer and a bobcat with fork on it are just about completely gone. Very sad.

But - got one more guy for you, and he might fit your bill if this is to be a "legacy piece". More details later, but he is the only guy left around that doesn't have a standing "I'll buy everything you cut that is over 1 1/2" thick".

I don't have his info with me, but we had a long talk today about sawing and milling lumber, drying techniques, the idiosyncrasies of mesquite, etc. Hopefully he will be in San Antonio in the next week or two, and we are thinking we need to have lunch as he will be starting up a new venture here in San Antonio. He knows the right guys and says all the right things to make me happy, and his main yard isn't quite the drive you would have from Houston to get to here. Also, he runs his own mill and has BIG pieces of mesquite. No one has BIG pieces of mesquite.

Anyway, the last piece of info will be off to you later in the morning on Thu as I am on Kathy's now and don't have his contact info with me.

I have worked with mesquite a fair amount and would be glad to share what I have learned about the wood anytime. Call me before you place your order (if you want) and I can tell you what I have found about grading of the wood and how to work occlusions and wind shake.

Robert

Thanks again Robert!